- The rates of committal to prison for women are increasing overall
- Even though women are more likely to be charged with non-violent crime - typically shop-lifting, receiving stolen goods and non-payment of fines - the rate of their being held in prison on remand is higher than for men
- Committal to prison for non-payment of fines alone has been escalating dramatically
- Women are commonly being sent to prison for very short sentences – 75% of women sent to prison in 2018 were serving three months or less
- All three major categories of crime committed by women centre on the root problem of living in poverty
- The SVP report estimates that the annual cost to the state of NOT dealing with the consequences of poverty ranges between €3bn and €7.2bn
I was honoured today to stand shoulder to shoulder with exiled Catalan leaders and colleagues on the steps of the European Parliament, to present this letter signed by 250 parliamentarians demanding amnesty for Catalan prisoners and exiles. Spain must heed the call, end its repression, honour its democratic obligations and enter dialogue. #CatalanAmnesty https://www.eucatplatform.eu/letter-on-amnesty/
Two years to the day since Julian #Assange was arrested and the US indictment he had always feared was finally unsealed. Two years in jail and counting, for the crime of telling the truth. #FreeAssangeNow.
I recently spoke about this ongoing travesty, and the danger to us all.
The real story of our trip to Iraq...
Very glad to have signed this important statement.
Don't miss the fascinating discussion we had with Justin Podur on I4C Trouble about the protests on a huge scale against anti-farmer laws in India. #FarmersProtests https://i4ctrouble.simplecast.com/.../ep-46-indias...
As War on Want has argued, Israel is a military and judicial system characterised by violations of international law. What does it say about the EU commitment to fundamental rights that Israel is participating in the EuroMed Justice programme for cooperation in criminal matters?
When the police stockpile software bugs instead of reporting and helping patch them, that doesn't make us safer. It makes us all less safe, as proven time and again. Europol and the Council should be focusing on how to fix the internet, not how to break it.