Archive for the ‘Local Issues’ Category
PRESS STATEMENT – FEBRUARY 13th
“MILLIONS TO BE SQUANDERED ON UNNECESSARY TEAGASC KINSEALY MOVE” – SAYS DALY
“ALL FURTHER WORKS SHOULD CEASE PENDING FULL ANALYSIS”
Socialist Party TD Clare Daly has stated that the government is costing the taxpayer millions by its failure to address serious questions around the planned move of Teagasc from Kinsealy to Ashtown. She was responding to a debate she had with the Minister for Agriculture in the Dail last Thursday.
Deputy Daly said, “The Minister totally dodged the issues posed. On the one hand he said that these matters were for Teagasc to deal with and it would be inappropriate for him to interfere. On the other, when pressed he admitted that he had a role. This is just not good enough. Of course the Minister has a role. This organisation is funded from the public purse and operates under his Department. Re-iterating statements made previously by Teagasc management is not good enough. Particularly when it has been alleged that this move will cost the state millions in unnecessary expenditure for facilities that already exist in Kinsealy.
In fact contrary to what the Minister said, that combining operations will involve cost savings, everything needed exists in Kinsealy. The Minister failed to answer why €2.5 million is being spent to upgrade classrooms in the Botanic Gardens, when these classrooms already exist in Kinsealy. The practical work will have to continue in Kinsealy because the Ashtown site is too small and more land will have to be acquired. In these austere times, when budgets are being cut and ordinary people faced with vicious cuts, this is even doubly disgraceful. These matters are already before the Dail Public Accounts Committee. All further works should stop until it is fully investigated.”
She concluded, “Fine Gael & Labour promised reform. Before the election, Minister Reilly said if elected he would ensure that this move would be halted. A year on, and the sound of silence is deafening. Enough is enough. Kinsealy is the prime site for horticultural research and should be developed, rather than ridiculous waste of public money in the planned move.”
Socialist Party TD Clare Daly has rejected the explanation of the Minister for Justice and Equality to a Dail question last week in relation to the rationale behind the cutting of the opening hours of Malahide Garda station, and other cuts in Garda services in the area.
She said, ” The Minister is claiming that the decision to cut the opening hours in the stations is not about cost savings but rather about improving the deployment of garda resources and getting better use of Gardai on the frontline. This is nonsense. Everyone knows that there are less Gardai on the streets than ever before. They are trying to cover up for the cuts that have already taken place. Dressing this up as an efficiency measure is an insult which residents will not be fooled by.”
“This is another consequence of the attack on public services. Citizens have, and continue to pay substantial taxation in return forever reducing public services as the government continues its austerity agenda. Improving services means investing in them. This government has reneged on every pre-election promise they made. This is simply not good enough,” she said.
“The Minister has declared that he has ‘no plans to review this decision’, ” Deputy Daly said. “Therefore the three government TDs, particularly Minister Reilly must intervene and force a review.”
More information : Clare Daly – 087-2415576
Socialist Party TD Clare Daly, who has for years opposed this development said of the announcement
‘This is a monumental decision by the Council. It is firstly a testament to the tremendous work over 14 years of the Nevitt Landfill Action Group, who fought tirelessly against this development, by taking the issue all the way to Europe and though concerted political campaigning here in Fingal.’
For years, I have raised this issue, in the Council and in the Dail. I think it is important to say that it was obvious for a long time that this project was never economically or environmentally viable and because of this there are serious questions to be answered by the Council. Over €30 million has been spent acquiring land, a significant portion of which contained an illegal landfill site, which will now have to be cleaned up, at taxpayer’s expense.
Now, as we have raised before, there needs to be an independent investigation into this project and the money that has been spent on it; it is too much money and too serious of an issue to be let lie. Socialist Party Councillor for Swords, Eugene Coppinger will continue to work on this by pushing for an independent investigation to take place.’
Daly added, ‘The overturning of the CPOs on the homes of residents near where the dump would have been is a particularly welcome development coming out of this announcement. It is a victory and an immense relief for people in Nevitt who can spend Christmas knowing that they will not now be forced to leave their homes during the next year.’